EPIC FOIA Resources
- EPIC FOIA Cases: High-profile EPIC cases
- 2016 FOIA Gallery: Presenting interesting documents obtained under FOIA
- Former Secrets – Scanned Images of Selected Documents Obtained Under FOIA
- EPIC FOIA Notes: an online newsletter that gives subscribers fast access to important documents obtained by EPIC under the Freedom of Information Act. (last updated August 2011)
- EPIC: Algorithms in the Criminal Justice System
- The Open Government Clinic: Teaching the Basics of Lawyering, 48 Ind. L. Rev. 149 (2014).
- Model FOIA Regulations
- Letter to President Obama Urging FOIA Reforms (Oct. 23, 2014)
- Letter to OGIS Urging Investigation of Administrative Closure Letters (Oct. 30, 2014)
- Freedom of Information Act, 5 U.S. Code § 552
- DOJ: Federal Agency Annual FOIA Reports
- DOJ: Statutes Cited by Agencies Invoking Exemption 3
- FOIA Legislative History
- The Electronic Freedom of Information Act Amendments of 1996 and the House Report on the legislation
- President Obama’s FOIA Memorandum (Jan. 21, 2014)
- Attorney General Eric Holder’s FOIA Guidelines (Mar. 19, 2009)
- The Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Establishes the right to obtain documents from committees that advise government agencies.
- Executive Order 12958 on Classification of National Security Information (1995).
- Earlier 1982 Executive Order 12356 on National Security Information.
Guides to the FOIA
- EPIC, Litigation Under the Federal Open Government Laws: 2010
- DOJ Guide to the Freedom of Information Act (last updated Aug. 2015)
- Georgetown’s FOIA Research Guide
- National Security Archive at GW University
- Federal Open Government Guide by Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press
Latest FOIA News
- Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse (TRAC): A research center at Syracuse University established in 1989 in order to obtain detailed information from federal agencies under the FOIA.
- The FOIA Project: Operated by TRAC, a comprehensive repository of federal FOIA decisions. Updated daily.
- The FOIA Ombudsman: A freedom of information blog from the National Archives Office of Government Information Services.
Other Open Government Resources
- National Security Archive at George Washington University
- Access Reports (a leading newsletter on access issues; includes news items, useful links and text of relevant statutes)
- FBI: Freedom of Information and Privacy Act Page
- Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press (includes forms for generating FOIA requests)
- Right to Know Network
- The Federation of American Scientists’ Project on Government Secrecy
- The Freedom of Information Center at the University of Missouri